The round brilliant cut is one of the most popular diamond shapes for its intense, beautiful sparkle. Round brilliant diamonds are cut to optimise brilliance, featuring over 56 facets that reflect light and cast tiny rainbows in a breathtaking show of sparkle and contrast.
Since 1886, the iconic Anania can create any setting you want for example featured a triple excellent round brilliant diamond, setting the standard against which all engagement rings are measured.
As the most popular Diamond Shape, the Round Cut Diamond represents a large majority of all diamonds sold. In fact, data from diamond vendors suggest that around two thirds of consumers opt for the round cut when choosing a diamond.
The Round Brilliant Cut boasts 58 facets (including the culet) and offers exceptional white light reflection, also known as brilliance. With a classic, timeless appearance, Round Brilliant Cuts are often used in engagement rings, necklaces and other fine jewellery pieces.
During the Victorian, Edwardian and Art Deco eras, the Old European cut was a popular diamond choice. As knowledge and technology advanced over time, diamond cutting techniques became more refined.
Cut design progressed toward larger tables, smaller culets and longer, leaner facets. While Old Europeans were cut primarily for colour, the Round Brilliant is cut for brilliance.
The primary difference between the Old European and the Round Cut is that the Old European maintains facets with triangular blocks while the Round Brilliant has thinner facets. Some customers enjoy the vintage style and personality of the Old European, though most prefer the brilliance of the Round Cut.
Why Are Round Diamond Engagement Rings So Popular?
Round cut diamonds are the most popular diamond shape. In fact, they make up between two thirds and 75% of all diamonds sold, and about 60% of all engagement rings.
Here are the main reasons round cut diamonds are highly sought after for engagement rings:
- Beauty: Round cut diamonds are exceptional. They’re cut with 58 facets that all reflect light back to your eyes. For over 100 years, diamond cutters have been perfecting the process of cutting round diamonds. The result: gorgeous gemstones with a classic appearance.
- Brilliance: Brilliance is what makes a diamond sparkle. It’s the amount of white light that reflects off of the diamond’s table to your eyes. The ideal cut aspects of a round diamond provide more brilliance than any other shape.
- Fire: A diamond’s fire refers to the amount of coloured light that is dispersed by the diamond. This coloured reflection gives a diamond character and beauty. When a round diamond has an exceptional cut, it showcases a tremendous amount of fire.
- Versatility: Because the round brilliant boasts a classic design, it complements many styles, from modern round cut diamond rings to vintage engagement rings. Round cut stones are often chosen for side stones as well, like a three-stone ring, or a pavé setting.
- Timeless Appearance: Round-shaped diamonds have been in style for centuries. With its beautiful facets and elegance, a round cut ring is a classic choice that will be cherished and handed down for generations.
A large part of the beauty and brilliance of the round brilliant cut comes from its unique facet pattern.